Teius city lies in the centre of Transylvania, near the place where the Tarnava flows into the Mures. The city is mentioned in a Latin document from 1290 with the name of Villa Spinarum (Spin Village), which is harmonizing with the names in Hungarian (1293 - Thyues, 1303 - Tyvis etc.) and German (1532 – Durnnen, 1808 – Dornstadt), in Romanian language was used TiuĊ form, then the current TeiuĊ.
The first known evidence of life in the Teius is belonging to TurdaĊ culture, area dates back to the Neolithic (fifth millennium BC. AD.), followed by the important remains from the Bronze Age period (second millennium BC. AD), two cemeteries belonging to Noua culture in places called "Sub Drum" (Under the Road) and "Cetatuie" (Citadel), in the last zone were discovered Scythian graves (VI-V century BC)
A monetary treasure found from Dacian time. In Roman time, habitation area is more intense near Stremt, through where the imperial road probably passed. From the migration period, there are some Avar graves (VII-VIII century AD), found throughout the plateau of "CetÄĊ£uie”
From the 13th century until 1541, the Diod estate, which Teius belonged to, was part of Alba County. The land and the villages of the central area of the county were owned by the Geoagiu gentry or by the city of Alba Iulia.
TeiuĊ city was seriously affected in 1241, when Tatars invaded Transylvania. Local noble Andrei of Geoagiu, after the battles against the Tartars in Mures, near RÄdeĊti, received three villages near the area of bloody fighting.
Iancu de Hunedoara held estates at Teius and Stremt, where he built a church and a citadel in 1449, in memory of the fight he had with the Turks to Sântimbru, in 1442. Iancu de Hunedoara offered to TeiuĊ parish a mill and vineyards in Alba Iulia, also paying the sum of 4,000 crowns for the church and 1,000 crowns for the altar. Today if you enter in the TeiuĊ Roman-Catholic Church, you can see the Hunyadi's family coat of arms, the raven that holds in its beak a ring. In 1464, King Matthias Corvinus issued a diploma by which the "oppidum" of Teius was granted the status of free royal city. Because some residents helped Mihai Viteazu during his campaign in Transylvania, General Basta will burn TeiuĊ in 1603. The city had suffered important destructions in the Turkish-Tatar invasion in 1658 and later during the uprising anti-Habsburg of the curuĊ£i in 1704.
A historic milestone in the evolution of TeiuĊ city was the establishment, in accordance with the decree of Empress Maria Theresa of 1762, on border guard regiments, a squadron of dragons (heavy cavalry), which, over years, will be subordinated to the Székely border regiment. Squadron command will get renewal of the old privileges of TeiuĊ as a royal free city, including one of his fairs, later famous for a wide area. Thanks to the same favourable circumstances, the Romanians from TeiuĊ were among the first from Transylvania, who founded a school, dated 1765, this time benefiting of a part of the customs (regalia) fair, and after the dissolution of the cavalry squadron, in 1851, of the special fund for the Association of Former Border School.
The establishment of the railway route Oradea - Cluj - Teius - Sighisoara – Brasov, during the eighth decade of the 19th century, and the subsequent creation of the junction with the railway coming from Arad to Teius - Coslariu, changed the village Teius into one of the most important railway centres of Transylvania.
On the list of official delegates of the Lower Alba County were two inhabitants of Teius, Dr. Aurel Sava praetor and Gavrila Ratiu, peasant.
Between 1931 and 1938 the road Bucharest - Brasov – Sibiu - Cluj - Oradea was built, that passes through Teius, thus contributing to its development, being a railway junction, a situation that persists in the present, here meeting the 3 highway (Bucharest - Brasov - Satu Mare), Simeria - Alba Iulia - TeiuĊ line. TeiuĊ acquired city status by 1994, according to 2002 census its population is of ……..people.
On this city you can visit several important historical monuments, including: the Reformed Church, built in Romanesque style with elements of early Gothic (XIII-XIV), with interior decoration in the eighteenth century, the former Roman Catholic monastery, Hunyadi's foundation, which was completed during the construction of Matthias Corvinus (XV century) and the Greek-Catholic church built in the seventeenth century, with valuable mural paintings.